Skip to main content

Who Feels Like They Are Empowered? #SAVMP

This month's question was "What are ways that you are INTENTIONAL in allowing your staff to feel empowered?" To be honest, I have not spent much time thinking about that previous to this post. My days seem to be filled with putting out 'fires', making plans for students/staff/parents, and supporting learning from one moment to the next. So I asked a few staff members what they thought.

Two questions came to mind:
1) Do you ever feel empowered? If yes, when? How do you use the power or leadership opportunity that has been made possible?
2) What can I do to facilitate opportunities for staff to feel that they are empowered?

Interestingly enough, the majority of the responses for #1 stated that they do not feel empowered. The responses were sad, but sadly not shocking. I thought that I had given a few staff members opportunities to assert themselves as leaders, but this did not come across from their perspectives. A hard pill to swallow, but definitely food for thought. This brings me to response #2 which helped me unpack why staff empowerment isn't something that the staff feel is present.

One staff member said, "Staff will best feel empowered when teachers are given opportunities to see positive impacts they have on students. Teachers often do not get positive feedback on the work they do or interactions they have with their students in their classrooms... Being asked for an opinion or feedback is a great way to begin to feel empowered."

Another staff member wrote, "Do I feel empowered?  To be honest, not really.  I often feel underused.  In fact, I've been recently told by someone that I am underused.  However, I don't let that get to me because I find ways to feel empowered.  I don't wait for the admin to come to me.  I am more of an intrinsic person and find my motivations from within.  If I do something, it is because I want to do it.  If I help a teacher, it is because I feel that I can positively contribute and collaborate with this individual.  I also set myself goals each year. "

What can I do? I am the vice principal and am not in control of where the ship is headed. I am the person who tries to hold the captains course and gives input from time to time. This made me question how empowered I am. Maybe I am incorrectly using the 'power' that I have been entrusted with. With all of the latter in mind, I decided that I have a few more months to begin to make a change during this school year. I am partially responsible for the lack of empowerment so, I am going to actively seek out staff who are willing to share their expertise and place themselves in leadership roles. I want to help provide opportunities for their innovations to be shared. More specifically, we are implementing a 1:1 initiative at our school and I am hoping that I can provide opportunities for staff to share their knowledge and expertise with their colleagues. This is just a start, but this month's question forces me to keep staff empowerment in the forefront of my thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Makes You Credible? #SAVMP

Why should I give you a chance? Can I rely on you? Why should I trust you? Have you ever felt like those questions were/are the unsaid or unheard 'elephant in the room'? Over the past 3 and a half years I have been on a journey to build credibility with my staff and colleagues. I entered the school not only as a new addition to the staff, but new to the position. It seemed like I would never get to a place where people could trust me or feel like I was able to help support the staff effectively. I have to say that this has been a difficult blog for me to write. I am not sure if I have figured out the formula for credibility. At this stage in my career I find myself reflecting on my practices weekly and wondering what areas need to change. With all the recent changes,  my credibility is definitely on my mind. The more articles I read and the more people I spoke to, made me realize that I need to hone in on specific areas if I want to grow in terms of my leadership. I

Bringing Parents Into The Learning Process #SAVMP

I have to confess, upon receiving this blog challenge I resorted to research. There was a lot of literature about why parents should get involved. There were also suggestions given as to how you can get parents from middle-upper  class communities involved. Gaining parent involvement in a low socioeconomic community has always been a challenge for me (and my research did not result successfully in this area). I have been very fortunate to work with an incredible staff. Our staff continually forges relationships with the students and their parents. Keeping the lines of communication open through positive feedback and social media seems to have increased parental awareness of school information and activities. It is great to have parents commenting on facebook posts of activities in the school or even ask questions about school life. This has proven to be an open door to communication. In order to further forge relationships with parents we had to get creative. We invite them ou

Bringing About Change is Tricky Business #SAVMP

1. "It's just the kids and I." After my last post in February, I set out to make some changes because I realized that the staff did not feel empowered  and that change was necessary in order to move forward. As I searched for ways to empower the staff it became evident that some teacher's strengths were being overlooked. The methodology and pedagogy behind technology in the classroom are new to many teachers in my school.  It turns out that there are several staff members that can give digital literacy & pedagogy workshops to their colleagues. Their willingness to do so provided opportunities for staff to feel empowered and proved to be successful. Why did I bring this up? Well, it opened the lines of communication amongst staff members and enabled them to collaborate. Unit planning no longer takes place in isolation; collaboration is becoming more common place. If someone would have asked me if this kind of collaboration could occur two years ago I would have